How can you improve Marshmallow Peeps, the perennial Easter favorite? By adding chocolate, of course! These chocolate-dipped Peeps are adorable and so easy to make. Sprinkles are strictly optional, but seem to be a hit with the little ones.
- 1 package Marshmallow Peeps
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (can substitute 4 oz chocolate coating)
- 1 tsp shortening
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Chopped nuts (optional)
Preparation:1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with wax paper.
2. Melt the chocolate and the shortening together in the microwave. If using chocolate coating, the shortening can be omitted.
3. Holding the Peep by the head, dip the bottom in the chocolate, covering a scant ¼ inch with chocolate. Shake it several times to remove excess chocolate before carefully placing it on the baking sheet. For the Bunnies dipped the whole bunny into the chocolate.
4. If desired, add sprinkles on the chocolate while still wet.
5. Place the candy in the refrigerator to set the chocolate for 10 minutes.